[MITgcm-support] Salinity budget tendencies

Martha Buckley marthabuckley at gmail.com
Tue May 30 12:23:11 EDT 2017

the TOTSTEND diagnostic was not designed for the nonlinear free surface
case.  Instead you should use snapshots of salt and eta (free surface
height) to calculate the tendency.

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 12:13 PM, Mattia Almansi <mattia.almansi at jhu.edu>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is Mattia Almansi and I'm a Ph.D. student at JHU.
> I'm trying to close the salinity budget for a non-linear free surface/z*
> coordinates configuration.
> I'm using the same procedure explained here:
> http://mitgcm.org/download/daily_snapshot/MITgcm/doc/
> Heat_Salt_Budget_MITgcm.pdf
>
> However, my salinity budget tendencies are not equal to TOTSTEND.
> Why this method does not work for non-linear free surface configurations?
> Which diagnostics should I use?
>
> Thanks,
> Mattia
>
> --
> Mattia Almansi,
> Ph.D. Student,
> Johns Hopkins University,
> Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences,
> 315 Olin Hall - 3400 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218
>
> e-mail: mattia.almansi at jhu.edu

Martha W. Buckley
marthabuckley at gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/marthabuckley/home