[MITgcm-support] pickup file for ptracer

David Ferreira dfer at mit.edu
Wed May 24 04:30:55 EDT 2017

Hi Yu-Kun,
pickup_somTRAC01* contains the 1st and 2nd order moments of the tracer (you must be using the Prather scheme for tracer advection). These moments capture the sub grid scale distribution of the tracer, but from memory, they sum up to zero. The mean concentration of the tracer at the grid-scale is contained in the normal pickup pickup_ptracers.ckptA.

So as long as you don;t want to touch the subgridscale distribution, you should be able to work with the pickup_ptracers.ckptA only, the moments will adjust as the simulation carries on.

cheers,
david