[MITgcm-support] Tidal forcing with Orlanski boundary conditions.

Hanut Vemulapalli hanut2 at gmail.com
Tue May 23 13:12:29 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I am trying to simulate gravity waves produced by a gaussian topography in
uniform stratificaiton. I have a 2D simulation with unit depth in the
y-coordinate. I am giving tidal forcing to the model in
code/external_forcing.F by adding the following lines .

DO j=0,sNy+1
  DO i=1,sNx+1
          gU(i,j,kLev,bi,bj) = gU(i,j,kLev,bi,bj) +
0.02*0.00014*cos(0.00014*myTime)
  ENDDO
ENDDO

I am prescribing Orlanski boundary condition at the east and west
boundaries.
However, the velocity magnitude tends to very small values of the order
1E-5 times the tidal amplitude (i.e 1E-12) once I prescribe open boundary
condition at the east and west boundaries.
Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Hanut

  <https://mailtrack.io/> Sent with Mailtrack