[MITgcm-support] how to add river runoff in exf ?

Martin Losch martin.losch at awi.de
Mon Mar 20 06:26:05 EDT 2017

Dear Li zhi,

in global simulations, runoff is usually a field that is used in the same way as preciptation (in the absense of ice even identically). If you are using on-the-fly interpolation (#define USE_EXF_INTERPOLATION), you can, as with any other exf field, select to turn off interpolation (runoff_interpMethod=0 in data.exf) and use uninterpolated  fields that you have prepared. For runoff this is particularly interesting, as you may want to have the runoff in particular grid cells and not smeared out by some rough interpolation from a coarse grid.

In you regional set up with open boundaries, you could probably use obcs as an alternative to specify river inflow as a flux across an extra open boundary (point or a series of points), but that may be more tricky.

Martin