[MITgcm-support] Tendencies from monthly output in ECCO v4-r2

Jan-Erik Tesdal tesdal at ldeo.columbia.edu
Sat Mar 18 17:25:54 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I’m hoping that a member of this forum can help me with an issue regarding the ECCOv4-r2 output. I am curious as to whether I can get reasonable salinity tendencies from the ECCOv4 monthly outputs. I started comparing my calculated tendencies to the available tendencies that are on the ftp site (‘nctiles_tendencies/‘). Please see my calculations and figures here: https://github.com/jetesdal/ecco_analysis/blob/master/ecco_v4_slt_divergences.ipynb <https://github.com/jetesdal/ecco_analysis/blob/master/ecco_v4_slt_divergences.ipynb>

The tendencies that I derived from the monthly output (‘nctiles_monthly/‘) match pretty well with the budget output (‘nctiles_tendencies/‘). However, one major difference I can see is in the surface layer of the tendency fields due to advection. As far as I can tell the only thing that I am missing is the WSLTMASS term that is discussed in Chakraborty and Campin (http://wwwcvs.mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm/doc/Heat_Salt_Budget_MITgcm.pdf?view=co&revision=1.1 <http://wwwcvs.mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm/doc/Heat_Salt_Budget_MITgcm.pdf?view=co&revision=1.1>), but I am not sure where I can find this term.

Is WSLTMASS the missing piece to my calculations, or is there another reason for these differences? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Erik