[MITgcm-support] grid-independent "broken lines" code

gael forget gforget at mit.edu
Fri Mar 17 14:30:00 EDT 2017

Hi Alexandre,

I am answering this question via mitgcm-support since the answer may be of interest to others.

Within the gcmfaces framework (https://github.com/gaelforget/gcmfaces) you will find two routines called gcmfaces_lines_zonal.m and gcmfaces_lines_transp.m which are grid-independent alternatives to the "broken lines" code you have been using with CS32. These routines should work for all grids in ftp://mit.ecco-group.org/ecco_for_las/version_4/grids/grids_input/ (cube spheres, LLCs, etc.) and ftp://mit.ecco-group.org/ecco_for_las/version_4/grids/grids_output/ (ECCOv2, ECCOv3, ECCOv4, OCCA, ECCO2, and SOSE) although I reckon that I have not tested every combination.

The example_transport.m routine listed in the gcmfaces documentation (https://github.com/gaelforget/gcmfaces/blob/master/gcmfaces.pdf) illustrates how these functions can be used for zonal average, meridional transport, etc. computations by taking ECCO v4 output on the LLC90 grid as an example. For the CS48 grid you may not have any model output to try transport computations yet. However, after having updated your gcmfaces clone / copy to present time, you can readily try a zonal average test as follows:
> grid_load_native('cs_nostretch/cube_48/',6,0);%load grid
> gcmfaces_lines_zonal;%compute broken lines
> gcmfaces_global;%add mygrid to current workspace
> zm_YC=calc_zonmean_T(mygrid.YC);%use broken lines
> figure; plot(zm_YC);%plot zonal mean latitude

Cheers,
Gael