[MITgcm-support] Angular Momentum Budget Unbalanced

Dansey, Natasha n.dansey16 at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Mar 17 12:16:32 EDT 2017

 Hi All,

I am using the MITgcm in a  slab-ocean with gray atmosphere setup, and am looking at the angular momentum budget. It seems balanced around the tropics, but at the mid-latitudes, the high-latitude jets have an angular momentum flux - specifically, that which is carried by low-frequency transient eddies -  far in excess of the surface stress (TAUX and TAUY). Are there some strange processes going on at the top of my atmosphere that I am not aware of?

Best,

Natasha