[MITgcm-support] Temperature Advection Scheme : Internal Gravity Wave Simulation

Dimitris Menemenlis dmenemenlis at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 13:22:32 EDT 2017

Maybe try using Crank Nickelson time stepping with >=5 min time step.
Here is copy of old email from Ayan Chaudhuri on topic:

When we ran our tidal forcing experiments with the default timestepping scheme, we noticed weaker amplitudes mostly because the fast gravity waves were getting  damped (even with timesteps of 2 min). Crank-Nickelson overcomes that short period damping which affect the tidal solution . The 5 min recommendation is time-stepping scheme dependent (not model resolution dependent) as Crank-Nickelson does not work for large time steps. This time step limitation makes it more expensive to run and hence is not default. I don't think there are any other considerable side effects.

And probably best to use rStar if your configuration allows it.
Here is some old notes from Jean-Michel on the topic:

Regarding Crank-Nickolson (as in verification/adjustment.cs-32x32x1/input/data:
implicSurfPress=0.5,
implicDiv2DFlow=0.5,
these 2 parameters are just 1/2. You can try with 0.6 instead, but it's
no longer 2nd order (and will add some dissipation).
And there is typo in your data file since implicSurfPress is repeated 2 times
but implicDiv2DFlow is missing.

Regarding Non-Lin Free-Surf: What is the minimum depth in this domain ?
If it's not too small (e.g., at least 20.m I would say), I would advise
to start with rStar (this is sometime more stable than pure z-coord),
especially if you add tides, rStar will reduce vertical velocity
(and related spurious vertical mixing) which is associated to d.Eta/dt.
select_rStar=2,
nonlinFreeSurf=4,