[MITgcm-support] Florida Straits in ECCO

Christopher Pitt Wolfe c.l.p.wolfe at icloud.com
Thu Jul 20 12:15:26 EDT 2017

Hi Madeline:

My student, Lequan Chi, has been looking at the Florida Strait transport in several reanalysis/state estimate products, including ECCOv4 and the unconstrained free-run of ECCO2.

Even with its coarse resolution, ECCOv4 does pretty well with the Florida Current transport (FCT), nailing the mean and variability of the transport fairly well. The correlation between the annual mean FCT from ECCOv4 and the cable measurements is 0.69, which is significant at the 95% confidence level and the highest correlation of any product we’ve looked at. ECCOv4 also seems to capture the (relatively weak) seasonal cycle of FCT rather well. We haven’t looked at the hydrography; just the transport.

ECCO2 underestimates the FCT and the variability is too high. Again, this is from the unconstrained version of ECCO2—state estimates appear to be available only for a few select years. This temporal coverage is too sparse for our purposes, but it might work for you.

Christopher

Christopher L. Pitt Wolfe
Assistant Professor
School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
Stony Brook University
christopher.wolfe at stonybrook.edu             631-632-3152