[MITgcm-support] Turning off the ocean

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at mit.edu
Fri Jan 13 15:08:52 EST 2017

Hi Chris,

if you try:
 momStepping=.FALSE.,
in file "data", 1rst namelist ( PARM01 ), this will prevent any update of
the velocity field that will remain the same as initial condition.

If you prefer to prescribe a time-dependent velocity field then you could
use pkg/offline (some doc in the manual & example: verification/tutorial_cfc_offline).

There is no run-time switch to turn off active tracer (T,S) diffusivity
other than to set various diffusivity coeff to zero.
But by using:
>  saltAdvection = .FALSE.,
>  tempAdvection = .FALSE.,
this should turn off the advection.

I don't know why the model was becoming unstable, may be too large time-step
relative to viscosity/diffusion/coriolis ?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel