[MITgcm-support] misbehaving (?) outputs (ARCHER related?)

Julian Mak j.mak at ed.ac.uk
Tue Aug 15 07:44:24 EDT 2017

Dear all,

Maybe I'll close my own question and leave a (admittedly not entirely
satisfactory) fix for reference. Turns out the problem was more
fundamental, and the output data looks plausible only because I
integrated in depth, which happens to be generate plausible looking
results. The red flag in this case appeared in the read field section in
STDOUT.* and indicates that the files have been read wrong e.g. the
mitgcmuv drawing of the same bathy.bin looks speckled

+r+r-r-r-r-+r+
+r+r-r-r-r-+r+
+r+r-r-r-r-+r+
+r+r-r-r-r-+r+

which is an output from mitgcmuv compiled a few days ago. instead of

++----------++
++----------++
++----------++

from the same mitgcmuv compiled about two months ago, where symbols mean
different heights.

I fixed at least the readin this on ARCHER by reverting to the
previously used intel compiler (ver 15 instead of 17, which was made
default last week on ARCHER). This may also be related to the fact I am
using an old version of MITgcm (62x I think)...I am at least reproducing
what I had before now.

Sorry for the spam,
Julian

e-mail: j.mak at ed.ac.uk