[MITgcm-support] How to generate the initial state for cube-sphere?

Tabataba-Vakili, Fachreddin (3222-Caltech) fachreddin.tabataba-vakili at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Aug 11 08:10:41 EDT 2017

Hello,

I am currently using MITgcm in lat-lon grid and would like to switch to cube-sphere grid.

  1.  How can I generate the cubed sphere grid initialization files (i.e. like grid_cs32.face001.bin in the held_suarez example)?
  2.  How can I translate my lat-lon binary init files into cubed sphere init files?

Is there any existing code that can do this? I have looked in MITgcm/utils/, but couldn’t find a suitable script.

Many thanks,

Best
Fachreddin