[MITgcm-support] advection of sea ice momentum

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Apr 24 10:18:22 EDT 2017

Hi Dimitris,

we have thought about including advection of moment (shouldn’t be too hard to add them the rhs of any solver, or maybe one can even do a linearized semi-implicit approach), but I am no longer sure that this would be sufficient, because there’s also non-trivial advection of stress (e.g. equation 5 of Dansereau et al 2016: <http://www.the-cryosphere.net/10/1339/2016/tc-10-1339-2016.pdf>)

I think that advection of sea ice momentum will always be small compared to the stress divergence term, as long as we are not in the free drift regime, where the advection of sea ice momentum would have a similar effect as on any fluid, i.e. at high resolution it should become increasing important in loose ice.

Martin