[MITgcm-support] MITgcm-support Digest, Vol 159, Issue 26

Martin Losch martin.losch at awi.de
Tue Sep 27 11:38:31 EDT 2016

Hi Georgy,

(1) historical reasons (this functionality was added later)
(2) “levitating” sea ice is very convenient (and does not really change the ocean circulation, because “non-levitating” seaice is in hydrostatic balance with the ocean, remember Archimedes’ principle), because too thick ice does not “dry” ocean surface cells.

I generally use the loading terms.

Martin