[MITgcm-support] optim.x build problems on ARCHER, using MITgcm c65i and OpenAD

Martin Losch martin.losch at awi.de
Mon Sep 12 19:07:01 EDT 2016

Hi Dan,
when I run this on my Apple Book I get this at the end

  OPTIM_STORE_M1QN3: restoring the state of m1qn3 from OPWARM.opt0026

  OPTIM_STORE_M1QN3: saving the state of m1qn3 in OPWARM.opt0027

 stoptheloop
 ml-offline_driver: niter =           18
 ml-offline_driver: nsim  =           27
 ml-offline_driver: omode =            1
stoptheloop

omode 6 means that m1qn3 cannot complete, usually because of accuracy issues (the computed gradient does not lead to a smaller cost function). I guess that’s OK as long as you are getting the same from just running “./driver” in testbed/runsript.sh. runscript.sh does both “online” and “offline” runs to check if both give the same.

your optim.x needs to be compiled with the correct header files (this is no different from the original optim.x in MITgcm/optim). The path to these needs to specificfied in optim_m1qn3/Makefile (INCLUDEDIRS need to point to the directory where you’ve compiled your mitgcmuv_ad), along with other things that you might need for your compiler (haven’t tried this on an XC30 yet). Then you need to do make CLEAN && make depend && make in “optim_m1qn3”
Afterwards you can copy optim.x to where your model runs. It needs to be in the same directory as where you execute mitgcmuv_ad (so compiling and running need not be in the same place) and afterwards you need to make sure that all files are saved so that you can restart.

It looks like you don’t have a data.optim in your directory?

Martin