[MITgcm-support] optim.x build problems on ARCHER, using MITgcm c65i and OpenAD

Dan Jones dcjones.work at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 10:22:08 EDT 2016

Hi Martin,

Thank you for the help!  I was able to compile and run optim.x in the
"optim_m1qn3/testbed" directory.  It produced 27 "OPWARM.optim" files and
the following output:

  OPTIM_STORE_M1QN3: restoring the state of m1qn3 from OPWARM.opt0026

  OPTIM_STORE_M1QN3: saving the state of m1qn3 in OPWARM.opt0027

  stoptheloop

  ml-offline_driver: niter =  18

  ml-offline_driver: nsim  =  27

  ml-offline_driver: omode =  6

Is that what we should expect?  Unfortunately, when I tried to apply
optim.x to my model run, it returned this output/error:

    OPTIM_READPARMS: Control options have been read.

    lib-4001 : UNRECOVERABLE library error

     A READ operation tried to read past the end-of-file.

    Encountered during a namelist READ from unit 11

    Fortran unit 11 is connected to a sequential formatted text file:

      "/tmp/F011.BAAa06574"

    Aborted

So something is wrong with my specific configuration.  I can think of a
possible source of error, but I don't know whether or not it's relevant
here.  I'm following the ARCHER-recommended procedure of compiling on the
"home" filesystem while running executables on the separate "work"
filesystem.  You can copy files from one filesystem to another, but jobs
can only see the "work" filesystem.  I get the impression that MITgcm/optim
works best on a single filesystem, i.e. where compiling and running is done
in the same place.  Have I understood this correctly?

Thanks!
Dan