[MITgcm-support] xmitgcm: python package for reading mitgcm mds files

gael forget gforget at mit.edu
Mon Oct 17 11:33:16 EDT 2016

Hi Ryan,

although I have not tried xmitgcm yet I must say that this looks very nice.

I am sure that non-Matlab users will be delighted to know that these python tools exist and I am particularly appreciative of the fact
that this will facilitate ECCO and MITgcm users’ handling of MITgcm output on llc grid (as well as cube sphere and others I assume).

Besides giving you a shout-out I figured it could be useful to point the audience to the geoscientific model development paper (

Forget, G., Campin, J.-M., Heimbach, P., Hill, C. N., Ponte, R. M., and Wunsch, C.: ECCO version 4:
an integrated framework for non-linear inverse modeling and global ocean state estimation, Geosci.
Model Dev., 8, 3071-3104, doi:10.5194/gmd-8-3071-2015, 2015 (http://www.geosci-model-dev.net/8/3071/2015/)

) that documents the llc grid and introduced the gcmfaces Matlab toolbox that is now available not only via cvs @
http://mitgcm.org/viewvc/*checkout*/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/gael/matlab_class/gcmfaces.pdf

but also via git @ https://github.com/gaelforget/gcmfaces