[MITgcm-support] cheapAML+global_ocean.90x40x15: it's all NaNs

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Nov 15 21:23:09 EST 2016

Hi Prof. Deremble

Thank you very much for your help,
and for your kind offer to run the experiment yourself.

FYI, I am using MITgcm_c65x.

**

1) Files on the ftp site:

I put the binary forcing files for the cheapAML+global_ocean.90x40x15
experiment, along with the "data" (namelist) files that I used
in our ftp server:

ftp.ldeo.columbia.edu

which you can access via anonymous sftp or
through a browser, with the URL:

ftp://ftp.ldeo.columbia.edu/

Via sftp, the directory with the files is:

/home/ftp-pub/gus/2deremble

If you use the browser it spells this way:

ftp://ftp.ldeo.columbia.edu/pub/gus/2deremble/

If you have any problem to copy the files, please let me know.

**

2) More attempts to run the experiment still produce NaNs

Also, I ran the experiment with cheapamlYperiodic = .FALSE.
With FluxFormula=COARE3 it gives me NaNs on step 2 if I use
cheapaml_ntim = 10.
If I increase cheapaml_ntim  to 100, 1000, or 10000,
it starts the NaNs on step 258 (on STDERR.0000 at least).
With FluxFormula=LANL it starts the NaNs on step 2,
regardless of the value of cheapaml_ntim.

**

3) Question

This experiment is on a 4x4 degrees grid.
Could it be that the cheapAML is inherently unstable
at this coarse resolution? (I hope not!)

**

Many thanks,
Gus Correa