[MITgcm-support] cheapAML+global_ocean.90x40x15: it's all NaNs

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Nov 9 14:45:56 EST 2016

Hi Prof. Deramble

Thank you very much for your help.
I made the changes you suggested, but I continue to have NaNs.
Please, see my answers and new questions inline.

On 11/07/2016 06:16 PM, Bruno Deremble wrote:

> Hi Gus,
>
> your config looks good to me.
> a few minor points:
>
> I think you don't want
> cheapamlYperiodic = .TRUE.
> because you are on a lat/lon grid

I was confused by the comments on the code,
that are probably applicable only to the cheapAML
box model in the MITgcm verification experiment.
Anyway, I switched to cheapamlYperiodic = .TRUE.

> cheapaml_ntim = 10000
> is probably too much. I would set
> cheapaml_ntim ~ Umax(atm)/Umax(ocean) so O(10)

Yes, I started with 5, then 10, based on
the same scaling argument you wrote above.
However, because I only got NaNs, I thought I might
have a CFL problem in the cheapAML, so I increased it
progressively to 100, 1000, 10000, but that didn't help either.
I switched back to cheapaml_ntim = 10.

> I would use COARE3 (and not LANL)
> FluxFormula='COARE3'

I applied this change also.
However, I wonder if, in order to use COARE3,
I need additional input files to the cheapAML (i.e.,
not just Usurf,Vsurf,Qsurf,Tsurf, ShortWavesurf).
Do I? Maybe I need also a wave model file?
Not sure.

> If none of these work, can you give me a link to your binary files? I
> can try to run your config later this week.
>
> bruno

Thank you,
Gus Correa