[MITgcm-support] weak AMOC in LLC90

gael forget gforget at mit.edu
Mon Mar 21 10:18:13 EDT 2016

Hi Judith,

> The only paper I've found that shows published AMOC from the LLC90 set-up is the Danabasoglu et al
You will also find various MOC plots in the supplement of the paper that documents the
reference LLC90 set-up and solution (i.e. the 20 year ECCO v4 setup and state estimate)
available @ http://www.geosci-model-dev.net/8/3071/2015/

My general advice would be to start from the ECCO v4 setup (directions to re-run the baseline 20 year solution
are provided in http://mitgcm.org/viewvc/*checkout*/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/gael/verification/eccov4.pdf)
that generally shows reduced drifts in multi centennial simulations thanks to its optimized turbulent
transport parameters (see http://www.ocean-sci.net/11/839/2015/os-11-839-2015.pdf). One may hope
that this would lead to a more realistic ocean circulation also when you switch to the Drakkar forcing.

> I haven't yet plotted a time-series of the AMOC as in that paper with synchronous time-stepping, will do.
Good idea. The asynchronous time step approach reduces computational cost but
it also distorts the model physics so it should only be considered with extra caution.

> is that something that we just have to accept when using truely global configurations
Well … it depends how much time you want to put in model tuning. As you noted AMOC biases
(often low biases) are a rather common problem that goes beyond MITgcm and llc90.
Many model parameters and settings can influence spurious model drifts and AMOC
is not necessarily the easiest thing to control — as illustrated by Gokhan’s paper.

> Has any one experience on what possibilities there are to get a stronger AMOC in the global LLC90 set-up? What works? What does not work?

I recall that when I did the CORE2 runs for Gokan’s papers the results were
quite sensitive to the fresh water balance of the subpolar gyre, and the resulting
mixed layer depths. Those multi-centennial runs included a surface salinity relaxation
term to help maintain a somewhat reasonable overturn. You may want to play with that.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Gael