[MITgcm-support] weak AMOC in LLC90

Judith Hauck judith.hauck at awi.de
Mon Mar 21 07:35:21 EDT 2016

Dear all,

I have started to use the LLC90 set-up as provided by Gael
(http://mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/gael/verification/global_oce_llc90/?hideattic=0&sortby=author)
and noticed that the Atlantic Meridional Circulation (AMOC) is really
weak (<10 Sv) after 100 years.

That was noticed early on in this conversation on the developer list:

http://mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-devel/2007-September/002973.html

I have used both the CORE2 and the (climatological, daily) Drakkar
forcing with asynchronous time-step, but the Drakkar forcing doesn't
make any difference for the AMOC.

The only paper I've found that shows published AMOC from the LLC90
set-up is the Danabasoglu et al.: North Atlantic simulations in
Coordinated Ocean-ice Reference Experiments phase II (CORE-II). Part I:
Mean states, Ocean Modelling, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.ocemod.2013.10.005

In that paper, the MITgcm AMOC is also weak (but rather at 11 Sv after
100 years). Most models in that comparison have rather weak AMOC, so is
that something that we just have to accept when using truely global
configurations?

I haven't yet plotted a time-series of the AMOC as in that paper with
synchronous time-stepping, will do.

Has any one experience on what possibilities there are to get a stronger
AMOC in the global LLC90 set-up? What works? What does not work?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Judith

--
Judith Hauck
Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research

+49 (0)471-4831-1892
judith.hauck at awi.de

http://www.awi.de/People/show?jhauck