[MITgcm-support] Defining different regions over the same area with regional diagnostics

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Jun 21 07:07:52 EDT 2016

Hi Alessandro,

this can be done with defining multi-layer masks. I assume that you
followed the example in, e.g.,
verification/global_ocean.cs32x15/input.thsice/data.diagnostics? In that
example, the mask is a 2D field.
You can now add a 2nd layer as a 3rd dimension and in this second layer
you can assign mask values 4, 5, ... etc. In data.diagnostics, you need
to set:
  set_regMask(1:3) = 1,  1,  1,  2,  2, ...
  val_regMask(1:3) = 1., 2., 3., 4., 5., ...

in DIAGNOSTICS_SIZE.h you may have to adjust this line:
       PARAMETER( nRegions = 10 , sizRegMsk = 3 , nStats = 4 )
if you want to use more that 3 layers and more than 10 regions.

And yes, it would be nice if this was documented somewhere. If you would
like to volunteer (after success, of course and while waiting
impatiently for your new diagnostics output) to write some instructions,
I'd be happy to add them to the online documentation.

Martin