[MITgcm-support] Side Drag in a narrow canal

Martin Losch martin.losch at awi.de
Tue Jun 14 10:54:03 EDT 2016

Hi Eli,

- the sideDragFactor is 2 by default (when no_slip_sides = .TRUE.), which mean “no slip". A value of 1 means “half-slip”, see description in PARAMS.h
- as far as I know, a drag law as in bottom_drag is not implemented, but it shouldn’t be too hard for you to do so, using the bottom drag as an example. The only complication is that mom_u/v_sidedrag are not called if no_slip_sides=.false., so you need to set no_slip_sides =.TRUE. and sideDragFactor = 0. (free slip) to call these routines and then you can add the required code in the correct if-block.

Martin