[MITgcm-support] Side Drag in a narrow canal

אלי ביטון elib.ocean at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 05:17:11 EDT 2016

Hello there

I'm running simulations of a narrow  and relatively long canal, in which
the drag with sidewalls could be important for the dynamics. In my data
file I'm using no_slip_side = TRUE and the sideDragFactor=1 and the
horizontal resolution is 20 m across and 100 m along the canal.
I have two short questions: One - is sideDragFactor could get values
between 0-1 (I guess it is, but just to be sure). Additionally,  is there a
recommended value for 'sideDragFactor'. Two - I wounder if there are other
options to imply friction/drag with sidewalls  (similar to the frictional
drag exerted by the bottom for example).

Many thanks in advance for your help
Eli