[MITgcm-support] Revisiting Online PV Diagnostics

钱钰坤 qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn
Fri Jun 3 05:55:05 EDT 2016

Hi Jacob,

I'm also interested in such an online PV diagnostics, although I've known that there is an offline version written by Guillaume Maze (see the manual).

I am also curious about where to define PV in the model because MITgcm use the C-grid so that the vorticity grid is different from mass (density) grid.  Since PV is defined as the product of vorticity and density, we can define PV at vorticity grid and averaging adjacent density values, or alternatively, define PV at mass grid and averaging vorticity values nearby.  I cannot figure out which definition is better as different definitions may depend on the discretization and finite difference schemes used in the model.

------------------
 Best regards

Yu-Kun Qian (钱钰坤)
Center for Monsoon and Environment Research
 Department of Atmospheric Sciences
School of Environmental Science and Engineering
 Sun Yat-sen University
No. 135 Xingang West Road, Haizhu District
Guangzhou, 510275, P.R. China
Tel; 020-84115227
Email: qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn