[MITgcm-support] only eta as open boundary ?

kaveh Purkiani kavehpurkiani at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 30 14:50:48 EST 2016

Hi MITgcm users,

I have been trying to use eta as the only boundary condition in
a configuration.

below you see the relative part of configuration regarding the bcs at
data and data.obcs

data

 periodicExternalForcing=.TRUE.,
 externForcingPeriod=900.,
 externForcingCycle =43200.,
 &

data.obcs

 OBCSfixTopo=.FALSE.,
 OB_Jnorth= 80*-1,
 OB_Jsouth= 80*1,
 OB_Ieast = 42*-1,
 OB_Iwest = 42*1,
 useOBCSprescribe = .TRUE.,

 OBNetaFile = 'OBNeta.bin', (Nx,time)
 OBSetaFile = 'OBSeta.bin', (Nx,time)
 OBWetaFile = 'OBWeta.bin', (Ny,time)
 OBEetaFile = 'OBEeta.bin', (Ny,time)

The boundary conditions are obviously read in (only at boundaries
output shows identical to what is prescribed as boundary condition),
 but they are not applied inside the domain. Except the boundaries,
rest of the domain does not show any elevation.

When *I convert the sea surface elevation (eta) into *

*barotropic velocity and prescribe the OB(N,S,E,W)(u,v) and no
elevation at boundaries, it worksproperly, with meaningful eta, zonal
and meridional values.*

*I appreciate any suggestions.*

*regards,*

*Kaveh. *