[MITgcm-support] funky ice dynamics in doubly periodic domain

Dimitris Menemenlis dmenemenlis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 07:15:26 EST 2016

Martin, the domain is doubly periodic.  There are no lateral boundaries.

Initially I thought it was the mass of the ice itself that was doing the
integration/smoothing/low-pass filtering of the wind forcing function.
But back of the envelope calculation for 3-m ice, .1 N/m^2 surface
stress gives acceleration of 3 m/s/day!  So it has to be the bottom
ice stress that’s keeping the ice from moving much in the winter.

I would love to see a time series of velocity at different depths
below the ice.  Or even better a computation of stress (momentum transfer)
from ice to ocean — do we have a canned diagnostic for that?  I forget.

Dimitris Menemenlis