[MITgcm-support] funky ice dynamics in doubly periodic domain

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Feb 23 03:15:29 EST 2016

Hi Jean,

if you use a spatially homogeneous forcing fields (the same value for all grid points) that just varies in time, I am not surprised, especially if the wind blows only along the channel (is that the case?). In summer the ice is mobile because AREA<1. Already at AREA<.90 there is hardly any resistence in the ice with default paramerers because of the  exp-function term in the strength parameterisation. As AREA->1 ice strength increases and it will be very hard to deform ice by convergent motion. With a solid ice cover and no divergence in the wind field I don’t see any reason, why the ice should move at all, unless you use free slip boundary conditions and there is some mean drift effect (btw, 10cm/s or even 5cm/s is not very small in that case).
If you want to see something “interesting” in winter you need to introduce some sort of divergence into the ice motion, e.g. by introducing divergent wind forcing, or add some obstacle in the channel (see verification/offline_exf_seaice for an example). But still, with 100% ice cover and fairly thick ice there is going to be very little ice motion. That’s the whole point of the set of parameterisations, that we call a sea ice model.

Martin
PS. here’s a master thesis about sea ice in an idealised domain and some idealised forcing. Nils had to work a little to get the ice into motion.
http://epic.awi.de/38870/