[MITgcm-support] Unstability in a Model (SOLUTION IS HEADING OUT OF BOUNDS)

Martin Losch martin.losch at awi.de
Mon Dec 19 07:40:26 EST 2016

Hi,

looks like your configuration is not stable.
For debugging your configuration it’s always a good idea to set monitorFreq to deltaT (or smaller) in oder to get output every time step. You can then use this output to get a few hints about your problem. The model computes the maximum Courant numbers (advcfl_u/v/wvel_max) and all sorts of other things.
There are a couple of  stability parameters that need to be satisfied. Some of them are listed in the tutorials, e.g. here <http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node115.html#SECTION00492100000000000000>
or here
<http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node131.html#SECTION004122100000000000000>

you can choose your parameters to satisfy these criteria.
Initial conditions can be a problem, if they lead to a very strong initial adjustments (for example, strong gradients in the initial fields)

Martin