[MITgcm-support] sea ice volume conservation

Georgy Manucharayan gmanuch at caltech.edu
Thu Aug 25 17:04:26 EDT 2016

Hi all,

I am running MITGCM with the sea ice package in a configuration that has
thermodynamics turned off (i.e. using #define DISABLE_SEAICE_GROWTH in
CPP_OPTIONS.h). The domain is closed. While the sea  ice is being
advected by the ocean currents only, its total volume (diagnosed as
HEFF*AREA) is not conserved. In fact, the volume is quickly decreasing
(by ~20% within the first few days). This is problematic for my analysis.

I have confirmed through diagnostics that the thickness changes due to
ice-ocean and atm-ice fluxes are indeed absent (i.e.
'SIatmQnt','SIatmFW','SIfwSubl','SIdHbOCN','SIdHbATC' are all zeros).
Surface temperature of the ocean also does not change, implying that the
ice is not melting. Are there any other possible fluxes that might lead
to ice loss when thermodynamics is off?

Can the ice volume loss be related to the numerical advection schemes
that do not conserve volume when independently advecting area and
thickness? I have tested SEAICEadvScheme = 77 and 7 which give nearly
identical results, while scheme 2 is unstable (too much ice growth).
Below are some of the relevant parameters from my data.seaice file.

  &SEAICE_PARM01
   SEAICE_no_slip     = .TRUE.,
   SEAICE_drag        = 0.001,
   SEAICE_tempFrz0    = -1.96,
   SEAICE_dTempFrz_dS =0,
   SEAICE_multDim     = 1,
   SEAICE_mcPheeTaper = 0.92,
#- seaice I/O params:
   SEAICEwriteState   = .TRUE.,

  &SEAICE_PARM03
   SItrNumInUse       = 2,
   SItrName(1)        = 'age',
   SItrMate(1)        = 'AREA',
   SItrUnit(1)        = 's',
   SItrName(2)        = 'one',

Any suggestions are highly appreciated,
Georgy

--
Georgy Manucharyan,
Stanback Postdoctoral Scholar,

Office: L+R, Room 226; Tel: (626) 395-8715
Web: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~gmanuch