[MITgcm-support] seaice anomalous advection in doubly periodic domain

Ryan Abernathey ryan.abernathey at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 12:58:33 EDT 2015

Hi Jean,

I think I remember Georgy Manucharyan encountered similar problems with sea
ice on tile boundaries.

I don't know too much about the details of the sea ice model. But I do know
that the sea ice viscous plastic rheology applies to the large-scale sea
ice field (>100 km scales) is is very likely completely inaccurate for the
1km scales you are trying to model. This is a serious limitation for
high-resolution ice-ocean modeling, and there is no obvious way around it
until a completely new type of floe-scale sea ice model can be developed.

That being said, there are lots of people on this list doing such modeling
(e.g. Dimitris). Maybe you can get some answers from them.

-Ryan Abernathey