[MITgcm-support] heat budget associated with shelfice

Daniel Goldberg dngoldberg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 08:29:45 EDT 2015

Hello --

I am trying (unsuccessfully) to close the heat budget associated with
shelfice melt rates, and am trying to understand what is accounted for in
the diagnostic array ShelficeHeatFlux. I think it might be purely
diagnostic, is it possible the calculation is out of date?

I have a simplified setting so there are not too many things to take
account of. I have constant ice thickness and depth, uniform initial
temperature and salinity (that instigates melting, not freezing) and i have
set shelficeGammaFrict = .false. so that melting can occur with zero
velocity. additionally i have

useRealFreshWaterFlux = .true,
exactConserv=.true.,
SHELFICEconserve = .true.,

I am checking changes over a timestep of a column integral of

heatcapacity_cp * rhoconst * theta

and comparing against

shelficeheatflux*deltaT

for the same column. With  "SHELFICEboundaryLayer=.true.", the agreement is
initially very good (on the order of 1 in 10,000). It then steadily
diverges though.

(With  "SHELFICEboundaryLayer=.false." the agreement is bad, even in the
first few time steps.)

Many thanks
Dan

--