[MITgcm-support] seaice anomalous advection in doubly periodic domain

Ryan Abernathey ryan.abernathey at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 10:35:32 EST 2015

> P.P.S. I hope that Ryan forgives me for contradicting, but even though the
> VP rheology was originally meant for large scales, it appears to work very
> well at very high resolution, i.e. the simulated fields show very realistic
> deformation statistics. There appears to be some controversy in the
> community, and this is not yet settled.

On the contrary, I would be very happy to learn that I am wrong. I am
definitely not an expert on this topic. The opinion I stated comes from
this paper, (supplemented by my own interpretation of the continuum
derivation of the sea ice equations of motion):
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2008JC005182/abstract
which may now be obsolete. Have the results showing realistic deformation
statistics with VP rheology been published somewhere?