[MITgcm-support] seaice anomalous advection in doubly periodic domain

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Nov 2 10:22:22 EST 2015

Hi Jean,

the LSR solver just has this issue that you stumbled over. In each non-linear iteration it solves a linearized set of equations by iteratively solving many tridiagonal systems locally on each tile, and these tridiagonal solvers require boundary values from the neighboring tiles (of the previous iteration step). If convergence (of the linearized system) is not reached (because the required tolerance is low, or there are not enough iterations allowed) the edge effects remain. You should be able to get rid of these stripes by decreasing LSR_ERROR (usally 1e-6 is enough, but that makes the model much slower). Alternatively you can improve the situation by increaseing the number of non-linear iterations ( NPSEUDOTIMESTEPS>2, e.g. 10 ), or you could increase the overlap from zero:
SEAICE_OLx = 1
SEAICE_OLy = 1
(requires OLx=3, OLy=3, because the the LSR solver requires 2 overlap points, but with advection 33 you should have that anyway, basically SEAICE_OLx <= OLx-2)
In my experience, you can reduce these edge effects sufficiently well, so that they do not (visibly) affect you simulation.

Alternatively you can try a different solver, e.g. the JFNK solver (unfortunately quite expensive) and the EVP solver (in its pure form EVP is likely to produce noise, so use the EVP* version, see recent documentation: <http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node254.html#SECTION00762460000000000000>)

I think your first question is unrelated and purely physical: in a doubly periodic domain it’s probably easier to resist deformation and to move the infinite ice cover according to some mean wind forcing (check if your wind forcing has a non-zero mean). You can test that by introducing walls or islands somewhere in the domain.

Martin

P.S. personally I would use SEAICE_EPS = 2e-9 or smaller (recent code has SEAICE_deltaMin as a replacement for this parameter), to give a little stronger ice.

P.P.S. I hope that Ryan forgives me for contradicting, but even though the VP rheology was originally meant for large scales, it appears to work very well at very high resolution, i.e. the simulated fields show very realistic deformation statistics. There appears to be some controversy in the community, and this is not yet settled.