[MITgcm-support] Using OBCS in a 1D model setup

Nicholas Rogan nrogan at geomar.de
Thu Mar 12 06:44:07 EDT 2015

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your response. My previous experiments running the model with Nx=Ny=1 have resulted in sensible seasonally cycling nutrient profile development. The only issue is that there is a “creep” in the total nutrients (phosphate and iron) resulting in a gradual reduction of the concentrations. I gauge this by the concentration once the winter mixing has occurred (the column is entirely mixed). This is expected for iron, but phosphate should be conserved.

So, results-wise, my model setup with the Nx=Ny=1 is performing well. However, we had a discussion in my group about the model setup and the issue of the model not being “closed” was raised. There was some concern about heat fluxes and the general robustness of using the model as I had set it up. I’ll admit that I didn’t fully understand the concern, but that’s probably because I am slightly naive when it comes to using idealistic models. Is there perhaps a requirement for using OBCS or RBCS in order to make the model more robust?

Sorry for evolving the thread into a more general model “Dos and Don’ts”.