[MITgcm-support] Using OBCS in a 1D model setup

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Mar 12 05:21:12 EDT 2015

Nick,

the default of the MITgcm is to have (double) period boundaries, ie. with your configuration (Nx=Ny=1), you have an infinite ocean that is homogenous in the horizontal. Closed boundaries are not possible with this configuration (you’d have to put a land point at your only horizontal grid point).

OBCS: The open boundaries are always at grid point that belong to the computational domain, i.e. they have to be a i = 1 (or larger) and at i = Nx (or smaller), and similarly for j. In your case Nx=Ny=1, so your single horizontal grid point belongs to 4 boundaries. You can imagine that this is not sensible. A 3x3 domain should work, in the sense that the central grid point will not be directly prescribed (although the normal velocities will), but I am not sure what you want to achieve with this configuration that you cannot with a single column (without OBCS). Even for the 3x3 domain the centrail point will be totally determined by the "open boundaries”, because there will be little dynamics that can develop.

I think it would be simpler and more straightforward to use RBCS to restore your fields to your data, but then you also have only very little dynamic development.

Martin