[MITgcm-support] stagger time step

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Mar 10 04:38:02 EDT 2015

Hi Marco,

all of the so-called “multiDim” advection schemes (and 33 is one of them) should be used with staggerTimeStep=.TRUE.,

I have had the experience, that if you don’t do it, you can end up with a totally overturned stratification during the initial adjustment process. The reason (internal waves affecting the numerical stability) is explained in the documentation and in other posts on this list.

Btw, type “staggertimestep” in the search window of http://mitgcm.org/public/search.html already gives a bunch of entries in the mailing list and in the manual (I am surprised it actually works (o:, although you get many more with a google search like this: “site:mitgcm.org staggertimestep”, without the quotes!)

Martin