[MITgcm-support] obcs_calc.F changes

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Mar 6 09:33:28 EST 2015

Ashely,

sponge layers in OBCS relax only to the same values as the boundary values (which don’t have to be tRef, please have a look at the documentation for more details, in particular <http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node236.html>, with the sections “OBCS_SPONGE” and “OBCS_PRESCRIBE_READ”)

What you want to do should be possible with the RBCS package: <http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node237.html>

maybe verifcation/exp4 can serve as an example how to use these packages, as it use both.

You can’t hack the code easily, because the initial conditions (e.g. the content of hydroThetaFile) are read into the dynamic field “theta” that is update at every timestep (so the intial conditions are lost)

Martin