[MITgcm-support] Poor cpu usage percentage

Rogan, Nicholas nrogan at geomar.de
Mon Jul 20 07:08:01 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I am currently running my version of the MITgcm remotely on a 2009 iMac and have noticed that the runs seem very slow. When I used "top" to check the process information I found that the CPU usage percentage for the "mitgcmuv" processes oscillates between 2% and 35%. The runs I had been doing on my Macbook pro were usually around 90-100% of the cpu and sometimes even up to 120% (???). Does anyone have any advice on how I can get my iMac to fully utilise the CPU in order to speed up my runs.

I've tried building with "make" and also "make -j 2" (my iMac has a 2.66 GHz Intel core 2 duo with 8Gb RAM) but there was no discernible difference in the run speed.

Thanks

--
Kind regards,

Nick

Dr Nicholas Rogan
Postdoctoral Researcher
http://www.geomar.de/en/mitarbeiter/fb2/ch/nrogan/

GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research, Kiel
Wischhofstraße 1-3, Build. 12
D-24148 Kiel
Germany