[MITgcm-support] Reading an old pickup file

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Fri Jan 23 10:35:24 EST 2015

Hi Luke,

If a miss-match occurs when restarting from "mds" pickup-files, some information
is written to STDOUT and/or STDERR.

Otherwise, to answer your question, MITgcm supports the restart from "mds"
pickup-files ( *.data + *.meta) that were generated with older version,
but not older than checkpoint-35, Feb 08, 2001
(since the logical parameter usePickupBeforeC35 was retired on Jan 2007).

To restart from a pickup generated with code older than checkpoint54 (2004/07/02),
you will need to set: usePickupBeforeC54=.TRUE. (in NAMELIST "PARM01")

And, as pointed by Martin, pickupStrictlyMatch will likely need to be turned off.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel