[MITgcm-support] how to do the adjoint using MITgcm

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at mit.edu
Thu Jan 15 11:20:12 EST 2015

Sorry, Mike, I don’t understand your question.
In your initial email you referred to the example tutorial_global_ocean_optim
which *is* a sub-directory of the verification/ directory.
So you must have found it in the past.

In my previous email, I provided an example that works with the tutorial you referred to,
and it works with the open-source tool OpenAD.
Instead of using testreport, you can do the build “by hand” as follows:
cd verification/tutorial_global_ocean_optim/build/
../../../tools/genmake -oad -mods -mods ../code_oad/
make adAll

More documentation on the specific tutorial is in section 3.18 of the online manual, see
http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node160.html
(unfortunately that description so far only described the build process using TAF; using OpenAD you should follow my previous instructions).

More on getting started with the model (e.g., directory structure and such) is in
http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node88.html

p.