[MITgcm-support] downloading source code through a ssh tunnel

Alexandre Pohl alexandre.pohl at lsce.ipsl.fr
Wed Jan 14 12:20:28 EST 2015

Dear MITgcm developers and users,

We would like to run MITgcm on a supercomputer that has a restricted access to the outside world and we can't directly use "cvs co -P MITgcm" on this machine

We therefore have 2 options:

A) Do the co on a machine with network index
  Use rsync to transfer MITgcm to the supercomputer

B) Setup things so that we can use an ssh tunnel on the supercomputer and directly do the "cvs co" and other commands on the supercomputer

We would of course prefer to use option B), which will make it easier to work on the code and keep the code up-to-date. We have unfortunately failed to do this.

Does somebody know how to perform B)?

Note: we have also tried to do some "cvs over ssh" to get the code on a regular (ie with access to the outside world) machine and it failed, so maybe the problem is just that mitgcm.org <http://mitgcm.org/> is not set up for handling ssh?

> setenv CVS_RSH ssh
> setenv CVSROOT ':ext:cvsanon at mitgcm.org <http://mitgcm.org/>:/u/gcmpack'
> cvs co -P MITgcm
The authenticity of host 'mitgcm.org <http://mitgcm.org/> (128.31.2.31)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 2b:a2:47:0e:a5:22:c4:2b:50:cf:d1:aa:3c:13:89:9b.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added 'mitgcm.org <http://mitgcm.org/>,128.31.2.31' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-with-mic).
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

	Thanks for your help!

__

Alexandre POHL
PhD Student
Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l’Environnement (LSCE)
Centre d'Etude de Saclay
CEA-Orme des Merisiers, bât. 701
F-91191 GIF-SUR-YVETTE CEDEX
alexandre.pohl at lsce.ipsl.fr