[MITgcm-support] Installation of gfortran and netcdf

Dr Nick Rogan nrogan at geomar.de
Wed Jan 14 11:28:13 EST 2015

Thanks Dimitris,

I'll keep this all in mind. I've finally managed to get Macports
installed and another respondent has given me some step by step
installations steps using that to go through. Hopefully, that will work.
I saw the info RE Yosemite yesterday, unfortunately I don't have a
backup drive and the laptop is actually my girlfriends, so can't risk
her documents/work to upgrade. This short term post was ideal for me at
first, but it's severely limited when it comes to technical support and
financial backing!

Thanks for your help.

Nick

On 14/01/2015 17:20, Menemenlis, Dimitris (329D) wrote:
> I am no expert but it looks like there might be an incompatibility
> between your gfortran and gcc compilers.
> There is a pre-compiled version gfortran for Snow Leopard
> available here: https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries
> which might be more compatible with your C libraries.
>
> On a separate note, if your macbook is late 2008 or newer,
> you can upgrade from snow leopard to yosemite for free:
> https://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/
> I agree that snow leopard was a good vintage of OS X but it is no longer
> actively supported by Apple so that could cause increasing incompatibility
> and security issues.  Additionally newer flavors of OS X, Mavericks and
> Yosemite, use various tricks to conserve battery power, which might be
> good for an old laptop.
>
> On Yosemite I currently use gfrotran 4.9.0 from
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries
> http://coudert.name/software/gfortran-4.9.0-Mavericks.dmg
> and I had to run the command: "xcode-select --install" as described here:
> https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-intel-compilers-for-os-x-pre-requisite-xcode-command-line-tools
>
>> On Jan 14, 2015, at 4:40 AM, Nick <nrogan at geomar.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I feel rather daft resorting to the mailing list for what should be such a simple task. However, I've spent the last four days trying to sort it out and I just can't keep going.
>>
>> I have lots of experience running the MIT on my iMac and macbook pro, the latter of which I set up within an hour myself by installing gfortran, hdf and netcdf before compiling the MITgcm successfully.
>>
>> My experience of installation was a couple of years ago and due to a short term post, a crippled iMac and a change of institution I need to install the MIT on my personal MACbook to run some simple simulations.
>>
>> So, I am running Mac OS X 10.6 and just can not get gfortran and netcdf installed, or if they are installed genmake2 does not acknowledge their existence. I have tried compiling binaries from sourceforge, gcc  and others. I have tried apple installers, everything and none of them seem to give the required result.
>>
>> Can someone take a couple of minutes out of their day and give me some advice?
>>
>> This is no doubt something simple like the location of the libraries or pointing a particular package to the executable, but I just can't get my head around it.
>>
>> I think I've installed gfortran, though I couldnt find anywhere how I should test it's installation. Version information and manual information come onto the terminal when I request them.
>>
>> I pointed the mitgcm optfile at the gfortran executable at /usr/local/bin/gfortran. But genmake2 does not acknowledge that fortran exists:
>>
>> ===  Checking system libraries  ===
>> Do we have the system() command using /usr/local/bin/gfortran...  no
>> Do we have the fdate() command using /usr/local/bin/gfortran...  no
> [...]

Kind regards,

Nick

Dr Nick Rogan

GEOMAR
Helmholtz-Centre for Ocean Research Kiel
Wischhofstrasse 1-3 / Room 12/330
D-24148 Kiel, Germany

nrogan at geomar.de

www.geomar.de