[MITgcm-support] Installation of gfortran and netcdf

Nick nrogan at geomar.de
Wed Jan 14 07:40:44 EST 2015

Hi everyone,

I feel rather daft resorting to the mailing list for what should be such a simple task. However, I've spent the last four days trying to sort it out and I just can't keep going.

I have lots of experience running the MIT on my iMac and macbook pro, the latter of which I set up within an hour myself by installing gfortran, hdf and netcdf before compiling the MITgcm successfully.

My experience of installation was a couple of years ago and due to a short term post, a crippled iMac and a change of institution I need to install the MIT on my personal MACbook to run some simple simulations.

So, I am running Mac OS X 10.6 and just can not get gfortran and netcdf installed, or if they are installed genmake2 does not acknowledge their existence. I have tried compiling binaries from sourceforge, gcc  and others. I have tried apple installers, everything and none of them seem to give the required result.

Can someone take a couple of minutes out of their day and give me some advice?

This is no doubt something simple like the location of the libraries or pointing a particular package to the executable, but I just can't get my head around it.

I think I've installed gfortran, though I couldnt find anywhere how I should test it's installation. Version information and manual information come onto the terminal when I request them.

I pointed the mitgcm optfile at the gfortran executable at /usr/local/bin/gfortran. But genmake2 does not acknowledge that fortran exists:

===  Checking system libraries  ===
Do we have the system() command using /usr/local/bin/gfortran...  no
Do we have the fdate() command using /usr/local/bin/gfortran...  no
Do we have the etime() command using /usr/local/bin/gfortran...  no
Can we call simple C routines (here, "cloc()") using /usr/local/bin/gfortran...  no
Can we unlimit the stack size using /usr/local/bin/gfortran...  no
Can we register a signal handler using /usr/local/bin/gfortran...  no
Can we use stat() through C calls...  no
Can we create NetCDF-enabled binaries...  no

Any advice?

Hopefully someone can solve this problem for me in seconds.

Kind regards,

Nick Rogan