[MITgcm-support] how to do the adjoint using MITgcm

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at mit.edu
Tue Jan 13 10:14:18 EST 2015

Hi Mike,

you have two options for this tutorial:

1. if you have installed the open-source tool OpenAD (http://www.mcs.anl.gov/OpenAD/), you will run testreport with the “-oad” option, i.e.
./testreport -oad -t tutorial_global_ocean_optim
In this case you should not be getting your reported error message
(testreport will refer to the setup defined in code_oad/)

2. if you have access to a license of the commericial AD tool TAF, you should be able to run it with the staf script that you have obtained from fastopt.com; in that case you will run testreport with the option “-ad”, i.e.:
./testreport -ad -t tutorial_global_ocean_optim
(testreport will refer to the setup defined in code_ad/)

Cheers
-Patrick