[MITgcm-support] how to modify the detail of model result

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Jan 9 03:53:57 EST 2015

Hi Tongya Liu,

In general, you need more information to describe your problem. As it is now, there is not much to say.

I don’t see any obvious problems in your “data” file, I cannot say too much about your obcs configuration (because you didn’t share it), and I also have no idea, what you mean by “strange eddies” (and I have no idea, what the SCS should look like anyway). Does this look like something numerical? Maybe you can put a few plots of what it looks like and what you think it should look like on some webserver to look at (please don’t send large files to this list). Does the vertical structure of the watermasses change a lot (may be a hint at something going on with vertical mixing, what do you use as mixed layer model?)

A wild guess: sometimes setting
 vectorInvariantMomentum=.TRUE.,
helps the simulations dramatically.

I find your delR not very smooth. As a rule of thumb set dr(k+1)/dr(k) < 1.4 to avoid too large inaccuracies in the vertical discretization. But I don’t think that this will help substantially.

In terms of boundary conditions: I have had good experiences with the stevens boundary conditions (see documentation).

Martin