[MITgcm-support] Coriolis terms with partially filled cells

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Jan 6 04:48:41 EST 2015

Dear Noriyuki,

I agree with you, the weighting with A_c*h_c is missing in the code (\Delta{r}_f/c is constant and drops out). I don’t know of updated code, but you can easily try it yourself like this:
         uCoriolisTerm(i,j) =
     &     0.5*( _fCori( i ,j,bi,bj)
     &          *0.5*( vFld( i ,j)+vFld( i ,j+1) )* _rA(i,j,bi,bj)* _hFacC(i,j,k,bi,bj)
     &         + _fCori(i-1,j,bi,bj)
     &          *0.5*( vFld(i-1,j)+vFld(i-1,j+1) )*_ rA(i-1,j,bi,bj)* _hFacC(i-1,j,k,bi,bj)
     &   )*recip_hfacw(i,j,k,bi,bj)*recip_rAw(i,j,bi,bj)

And similarly for the vCoriolisTerm (replace “w” with “s” and beware of the indices) and some of the non-hydrostatic terms.
It would be interesting to learn about the effects of this modification.

Martin