[MITgcm-support] how to balance the flow flux during preprocessing

David Hebert david.hebert at nrlssc.navy.mil
Mon Jan 5 09:05:35 EST 2015

Hi Tongya,

In addition to the useOBCSbalance, keep in mind that you essentially
have a control volume for your domain. SSH will be dependent on the
amount of mass that comes in or goes out of your domain. You could check
your boundary conditions beforehand by integrating the volume flux over
each boundary for the entire simulation. (This is basically the
integration of "normal velocity times area" on each boundary.
Mathematically this is the divergence theorem). This gives you the net
flux into your domain for the entire simulation. You could then alter
each boundary velocity to remove this net flux. We did this and were
surprised how low the velocity modification was needed, in most cases on
the order of 0.1 cm or less.

The main difference is OBCSbalance (I believe) will balance the flux on
each timestep, whereas the method above balances the flux for the entire
simulation and might help keep any tidal signatures in your domain Of
course, you would need to know your entire simulation boundary
conditions and modify them beforehand.

Good luck,
David