[MITgcm-support] how to use nested grid in the mitgcm ?

李志远 oceanlizy at 163.com
Tue Dec 15 21:19:10 EST 2015

From: LIZHI  <oceanlizy at 163.com>
To: MITgcm Support <mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org>
Subject: "how to use nested model in the mitgcm ? "

Dear,all ;
     I have successfully run the model to simulate wind-driven circulation in a marginal sea. I wonder that if it is possible to use a nested grid
in the model, and how to set the parameters in a nested model.
   Another question is,  surface heat flux is added in the driving force in the model. A net heat flux includes the upward longwave, sensible heat flux and latent flux, and a single upward shortwave heat flux is specified. A SST relaxation is also used in the model with a relaxation period of 10 days. The heat flux data used is from OAFlux with a resolution of 1 degree.  But I find that, after the model run a long time (about 6 months), vere high temperature is found in coastal areas, even may cause the model to blow up. I think it may be due to the fact that the heat flux data is so coarse that in the very shallow waters,such as the near coastal areas, the heat flux is too large. So the water temperature in this place is very high.  I want to know is there any suggestion about this problem?
  Many thanks for your apply.
  Li zhi