[MITgcm-support] MITgcm reading binary restarts

Anthony Coletti ajcolett at geo.umass.edu
Wed Aug 26 10:10:19 EDT 2015

Hi all,

Can the GCM read restart files that are Float64 if you have “readBinaryPrec = 32" in the data file? I noticed some of my runs have restart files that are Float64 but seem to be read correctly when I have “readBinaryPrec = 32” set in the data file. However, when I open them in Matlab, I need to have “real*8” specified in the “readbin” command otherwise the restart file just shows NaNs.

Thanks

Anthony J. Coletti
PhD Candidate
Climate System Research Center
Department of Geosciences
Morrill Building
611 N. Pleasant Street
233 Morrill Science Center
University of Massachusetts-Amherst
paleoclimate.org
Email: ajcolett at geo.umass.edu
http://blogs.umass.edu/ajcolett/
http://necsc.umass.edu/people/anthony-coletti

“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the  suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson